Traditionally, new parents were cared for by their families and friends after the arrival of a new baby. In our modern society many families live far from one another and this support for new parents is not always available. A postpartum doula can fill this role and provide the non-medical care and support that was customary in cultures throughout history. The quiet and reassuring presence of a postpartum doula can make the transition to parenthood easier.
You can read more about the role of the postpartum doula at this link on the DONA International website: DONA
Katie's Postpartum Doula Services:
I am available to provide support most weekdays between the hours of 9am-3pm. I work 2-6 hour shifts depending on your location and your needs. My rate is $35/hr. I serve families in Issaquah, Sammamish, Redmond, Snoqualmie, North Bend, Carnation, Bellevue, Renton, Mercer Island, south Seattle and surrounding communities.
• Care for mother/birth parent by making sure they are fed, hydrated and resting
• Nonjudgmental listening & companionship
• Guidance in baby care – bathing, soothing, diapering, babywearing and more
• Support, guidance and education in feeding baby
• Assist with care for older siblings and their adjustment to new baby
• Care for baby so parents can rest, shower, spend time with older children or enjoy some self-time
• Light housework, organization and laundry
• Light meal preparation
• Run errands - fill prescriptions, buy groceries, formula etc.
• Accompany parent(s) & baby to appointments or other outings
• Walk and care for pets
• Guide parents in screening themselves for postpartum mood and anxiety disorders
• Share appropriate referrals and recommend local resources
• Miscellaneous tasks that will help support the family
Inclusive practice serving ALL types of families including LGBTQ+ families, adoptive families and teen parents.